More About Little Ol' Me
How did I get my name?
- Baby Banks was donated to the Emma Zen Foundation and what do all nonprofit foundations need? Well, a Piggy Bank of course! The Banks part stuck and the Baby part well, if you've ever owned a mini pig you know it's like having a constant 2 year old for the next 20 years. Their I am right in my name, "Baby Banks"!
What kind of pig am I?
- I am a Vietnamese Miniature Pot Belly Pig.
How big will I get?
- Per breed specifications Is should be about 50 pounds at age one, can then gain another 10 - 20 over the next two year period. At age 9 months Baby Banks is 43 pounds. Being dense for their size, they are much smaller than a dog of the same weight.
Where did I come from?
Why didn't you adopt a pig?
- First of all pigs unlike a dog form their connections within their first three months of life. Therefore when you adopt a pig at almost any age what you get is pretty much what you get. While socializing and older dog works, trying to desensitizing a pig at two years old is not quite the same task. I wanted to be able to expose our pig to the same life Emma Zen lives and I knew that meant raising my own pot belly. So I set out and found a reputable breeder. The majority of my animals are adopted or strays but not everybody contributes to the negative in breeding, there are those out there who will tell you the truth, raise with integrity and be there for you even after you have purchased your pet.
What do I eat?
- Pellet food that looks similar to rabbit food, however it is really "pig" food by Mazuri Pet Food, the difference is it's a higher fiber content. Mini pigs should only eat 2% of the their body weight in pellets. She grazes outdoors about an hour a day plus can have any vegetables and fruits that our available for lunch!
Am I potty trained?
- Yes. Inside she uses a cat box with recycled newspaper in it and because we do not have a doggie door, she is trained to ring a bell if she wants/needs to be let out. If you pay attention to her routine you can just take her outside every 3 hours and she'll do her business and come back in.
Where do I sleep?
- In the family bed, under the covers, next to my legs! :-) Pigs are like live heating blankets if you love heat your next bed mate should be a pig!
Are pigs really clean?
- Yes. While we need to be bathed just like anybody else we really don't have an odor. If your pig is spayed or neutered even their urination has no order. In fact she sort of smells like soap. A pig will not poop in it's on area, they keep there area clean by nature. She did however start having gas and that smells like a dirty barn.. LOL While THEY are clean, a pig can make a mess. Two totally different topics. :-)
Are you a therapy pig?
- No, I am not registered and while I am tamed, obedient and friendly enough to be one anyone who has ever had a therapy pet schedule knows, it takes time. I somehow have this feeling I am meant for bigger things! And besides I am therapy to everyone I meet everywhere I go, it can't get better than that! :-)
Are pigs really smarter than dogs?
- Pigs are smart..... to a detriment! That's all I'm saying about that.
Is the Zookeeper Vegan?
- Yes. But I was before Baby Banks came along. Everyone has their own believes and reasons for eating differently or more healthy and we hope you explore your choices. But after owning a mini pig!!!! Even if I went back to meat, I could never eat pork again!